Interesting Factoids about the New Truman Chemistry Labs,
or Things you need to know to make Everyone’s Life a little easier!!
Last Update: December 29, 2010
1. In CHEM 100, CHEM 130/131 and the Organic labs the labs are set up so that all of your equipment and supplies are adjacent to your lab table.
- a. All of the tables and hoods are labeled with a corresponding letter, e.g. Table A and Hood A.
- b. Likewise, each table has its own balance next to their hood, and their own hotplate on the shelf by the hood.
- c. Each two tables share a pair of sinks around the perimeter of the room. These are the sinks closest to your table and hood.
- d. Please do NOT use supplies (gloves, soap, etc.) from a sink or hood other than your own! If you are out of supplies, let the stockroom know and we will get you more.
- e. For some of the labs, each table will have their own set of chemicals in their hood. For other labs, the chemicals for 3 tables (A, B and C or D, E, and F) will be in the smaller hoods at the back of the room.
- f. Your lab table also has cabinets of “common” supplies ring stands, clamps, Bunsen burners, etc. Make sure you put these back into the appropriately labeled cabinet, NOT in your lab drawer.
2. Please keep chemicals in the hoods or at your lab tables. DO NOT bring them to the tables and chairs in the center of the room. Also, the chairs are NOT for use at your lab tables!
3. There are fire extinguishers next to both exits.
4. The safety shower and eye wash are located by the East door.
5. The spill kit (green case) is at the front of the room.
6. The first aid kit is mounted on the wall at the front of the room.
7. The distilled water in located at the back of the lab. It is the faucet labeled DI.
8. All of the sinks are designed to allow water to drain from the lines for 30 seconds AFTER the water has been shut off. This means that when you turn off the water, push down on the handle (or turn faucet) only until you feel resistance. Water will continue to run for approximately 30 seconds before stopping. If the water runs for longer than 30 seconds, push down on the handle or tighten faucet a little more.
9. Be careful when you turn on the water at the sinks especially if you use the sink at the lab table. When turned full on, the water comes out at high force, and you might get an unexpected shower!
10. Hand soap, Alconox for cleaning glassware, and a sponge are located at the sinks around the perimeter of the room.
11. If you leave your glassware out on the pegboards to dry, the stockroom will not “reclaim” it like we do if it is left out on your lab table. HOWEVER, the stockroom will NOT guarantee it will still be there at your next lab time, Other labs will be in this room, and we are NOT responsible if another student takes your glassware. We recommend that you put away all your glassware at the end of lab. Leave glassware on the pegboard at your own risk!!
12. The hoods are equipped with motion sensors and are designed to automatically vent when someone is at the hood. Please lower the sash when you leave the hoods to prevent any fumes from inadvertently escaping! THE SASHES SHOULD NOT BE RAISED ALL THE WAY it defeats the whole purpose of using the hood. The sash should only be raised enough for your hands and forearms to be in (8 10 inches). Click here to read the manufacturer’s information on hood use.
13. If a hood alarm goes off (which can be a common occurrence) press the grey mute button to silence the alarm.
14. To open your lab drawer, turn combination to the right 3 times. Stop at the first number. Turn left one full turn passing the first number to stop at the second number. Turn right directly to the third number, Continue turning until the dial stops. To relock, just turn the dial left one full turn.
15. Boxes of small, medium and large gloves are provided on the counters by the sinks around the perimeter of the room. PLEASE don’t waste the gloves. Make sure you get the right size, and one pair of gloves should last the ENTIRE lab period!
16. If using a centrifuge with 6 inch glass centrifuge tubes, make sure both of your test tubes either say “USA” or “‘Mexico”. There is enough of a difference in weight of the tubes to cause an imbalance in the centrifuge.